Smart Italian Meatballs
A new twist on an old favorite to ensure a carb free meatball. Skip the pasta and add it to a toasted Smartbun®!
- 2 lb Grass-fed ground beef
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup Freshly grated Romano cheese
- 1.5 tbsp Chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
- 2 tbs Cream cheese
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 Cups Toasted, crumbled, Smartbuns®
- 1.5 Cups lukewarm water
- 1 Cup Olive oil
- Fresh basil to garnish
- Combine beef, garlic, eggs, cheese, parsley, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Blend Smartbun® crumbs into meat mixture. Slowly add the water 1/2 cup at a time. The mixture should be very moist but still hold its shape if rolled into meatballs.
- Shape into meatballs.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Fry meatballs in batches.
- When the meatball is very brown and slightly crisp remove from the heat and drain on a paper towel. (If your mixture is too wet, cover the meatballs while they are cooking so that they hold their shape better.)
Add to your favorite sauce, top with fresh basil and serve on a Smartbun® for a high protein and high fiber HEALTHY, low carb comfort food.