Sweet Potato Casserole
A Healthy Twist on Sweet Potato Casserole Using Cinnamon Smartcakes®!
2½ lbs sweet potatoes, (3 medium), peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon honey or other/preferred sweetener (optional)
½ cup low-fat milk
2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon salt
4 Cinnamon Smartcakes®
½ cup chopped pecans (spices see below)
- Season the chopped pecans to taste. We used ground nutmeg, cardamon, cloves, and cinnamon. All spice or pumpkin pie spices may be used as a substitute.
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook over medium heat until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain well and return to the pan. Mash with a potato masher.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat an 8-inch-square (or similar) baking dish with cooking spray.
- Whisk eggs, oil and honey in a medium bowl. Add mashed sweet potato and mix well. Stir in milk, orange zest, vanilla and salt. Spread the mixture in the prepared baking dish.
- To prepare topping: Mix crumbled Smartcakes® and crushed pecans (we used a food processor), then sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
- Bake the casserole until heated through and the top is lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes.